Luna Stellar Soul

Luna Stellar Soul
Happy dog

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Good bye dear friends..... rest in peace

I write today, not so much about my life because of my dog, but more about just LIFE. This photo is of my dear childhood friend Elaine (on the left) Kelli, and me on the right. We were in High School here in Kirkland about 1977. Elaine passed away yesterday peacefully with her daughter and husband close by. Ending her long battle with cancer. About an hour after hearing the news of Elaine's passing, I got a call that another dear friend had succumb to brain cancer. Then another 30 minutes later yet another call. Ralph "Biff" Niehaus passed away at the ripe old age of 94. He was like a father to me since we met back in the mid 80's. He had 8 children and a gazillion grand kids. He played professional football back when they wore leather helmets! His one true love was Gertrude (Trudy) his loving wife who passed much too young back in 1977. Years ago I rescued (more like stole) a little Springer Spaniel (about 6 mos old) who was being beaten with a bat by her ignorant drunk owner. I waited until he passed out, and climbed over the fence in the middle of a wintry night and brought her home with me. Her name was Maggie. She was a love. So so sweet but you couldn't raise your voice around her because she would shake violently and lay as flat and as still as she possibly could. Long story short, Biff ended up with Maggie living with him in Reading Ohio. He was living alone and loved Maggie's company. When it came time for Maggie to leave this world (at 16 years old) Biff called me and through his tears asked me if he was "doing the right thing". She lived out the rest of her years as his constant companion, his friend, his everything. They went for car rides, walks and when I would go back for visits, she would see me and come running. I would get the most precious kisses, then she would look back at Biff and retreat to his side.
Last night when I knelt next to my bed to pray for the three friends who had left us. Luna was laying next to me in her bed. I cried as I spoke out loud saying goodbye (for now) to these amazing souls. I felt somber, but at peace. I curled up with Luna for a minute in her gigantic Costco bed. As I wrapped an arm around her to say good night she exhaled one very long breath and I could feel her body lie in "Savasana" (dead pose in yoga). Her body totally supported by the earth and not a thought in her head. With that as a reminder, I crawled up into my bed and tried to do the same.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to read about all your loses. I especially love the Maggie story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great teller of real life stories. What a gifted writer. Love reading your blog, Stebby. Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me cry Stef.........so bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete